Located at 333 E. Bethany Drive Bldg. H, Suite 110, Allen, TX 75002.Adjustment of status is the process that you can use to apply for permanent resident status when you are present in the United States.  Through an adjustment of status, you can remain in the US and would not have to return to your home country for processing.

First, you’ll need to determine whether your eligible for a green card. Eligibility may be different depending on your immigrant category.  Eligibility can be sought if:

  • You are an immediate relative of a U.S. citizen
  • You are married to a U.S. citizen
  • You are employed within the U.S.
  • You have been a refugee or asylee for at least one year

If you have determined you are eligible then you will need to file form I-485, Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status, with USCIS. After filing, you will be sent a biometrics services appointment to provide fingerprints, photographs, and signatures. These will be used to verify your identity and run required background/security checks.

After this, the USCIS may request an interview to answer questions under oath regarding your I-485 form.

How Long Does an Adjustment of Status Take?

The processing time for a status adjustment varies greatly since USCIS has discretion over how long they take to review your application.  Completing an adjustment of status through marriage is quick and could be completed in 10-13 months if your spouse is a U.S. citizen, or 29-38 months if your spouse is a green card holder.  The best way to ensure that your status adjustment is not delayed is to file all your paperwork correctly the first time with the aid of an experienced and qualified immigration attorney.


What to Bring to an Adjustment of Status Interview?

You should bring original copies of all documentation submitted with the Form I-485 application and the family member who filed the immigration petition for you if applicable. Documents include passports, official travel documents, and Form I-94, regardless of if they are expired. Additionally, you may bring:

  • a doctor’s report from your medical examination on Form I-693
  • an up-to-date letter from your employer documenting continued employment at the specified salary if you are applying based on employment
  • documents showing shared life, such as a joint bank account, credit card statements, and children’s birth certificates if you are applying based on marriage


We are Here to Help

Looking for an immigration attorney in Allen, TX? Whether you need assistance reuniting families, achieve the American Dream, or resolve a Family Law matter, the Liu Law Firm strives to guide our clients to help them achieve the best possible results.  Call us to set up your consultation today at (469) 949-9227. Located at 333 E. Bethany Drive Bldg. H, Suite 110, Allen, TX 75002.

Immigration Questions? 

After 17+ years of experience, we have answers! View our list of frequently asked questions on immigration law in Texas.

Learn How the Liu Law Firm May Help You

Get In Touch With Us

Submission of this form confirms your acknowledgment and understanding that no attorney-client relationship with our firm has been created.